WSET Level 3 Award in Wines
PRE COURSE REQUIREMENTS
Candidates must hold the WSET Level 2 Certificate. It may be possible for candidates who have considerable experience in the Industry to undertake this course after passing a Pre-Course Entry test.
RECOMMENDED STUDY HOURS
84 hours. The Level 3 is an intense course and candidates should be aware of the commitment recommended .
- Digiltal WSET Studypack - Textbook & Workbook, SAT Tasting Card
- Online Learning Support including Mock Assessments and feedback.
- Video Tasting Sessions
- Practice Research Questions
- Video support resource
- Additional Learning Support Material - Handouts, Syllabus Analysis etc
- Tutor Support
The WSET Level 3 Award in Wines is an in-depth study of the world of wines. The course is designed to advance your wine knowledge and tasting skills and to test your skills to apply this knowledge in the context of written answers.
The syllabus covers detailed aspects of grape growing and wine making, together with a geographical study of the wine regions of the world and the major influences on the styles of wines produced. The syllabus also includes modules on Sparkling and Fortified wines which also make up part of the theory exam paper.
Tasting is a key feature of the course and you will follow the Level 3 WSET Systematic Approach to Tasting assessment process. The Level 3 exam includes a tasting element where you are expected to produce a written tasting note on two blind wines. The viitual tasting sessions provides practice opportunities to learn and refine this skill. Due to the tasting element of the classroom courses, all students must be aged over 18.
Unit 1: The Theory of Wines of the World
- Identify the principal natural and human factors in the vineyard and winery that are involved in the production of still wines of the world and explain how they can influence the style, quality and price of these wines.
- Identify and describe the characteristics of the still wines produced in the principal wine producing regions of the world and explain how the key natural and human factors in the vineyard, winery, law and commerce can influence the style, quality and price of these wines.
- Identify and describe the characteristics of the principal sparkling wines of the world and explain how the key natural and human factors in the vineyard, winery, law and commerce can influence the style, quality and price of these wines.
- Identify and describe the characteristics of the principal fortified wines of the world and explain how the key natural and human factors in the vineyard, winery and law can influence the style, quality and price of these wines.
- Demonstrate the ability to provide information and advice to customers and staff about wines.
Unit 2: The Analytical Tasting of Wine
- Accurately describe the key characteristics of the principal
still wines of the world and use the description to make an assessment of
quality and an assessment of readiness for drinking.
Core Subject Areas:
- Winery & Wine Consumption
- Spain & Italy
- Rest of Europe
- New World
- Sparkling & Fortified
- Exam Technique and Tasting Guidance
Self Study Online Course
Start anytime and study online at your own pace. Subject areas are delivered in 8 modules containing fact sheets, tasting videos, practice questions and online resource links. Tutor support is available throughout the course and you are invited to attend a Virtual Tasting and Theory Sessions to enhance your learning. Click here for the Virtual Sessions Schedule.
The online course contains mock assessments including a short written answer paper to submit for feedback. The course contains a list of recommended wine samples to accompany the course.
All exams must be sat in person. Please refer to the Exam Schedule for upcoming dates.
Distance Learning Course Fee - £560.00
Click here for further online course information.
Courses are currently being scheduled for the Cambridgeshire region and will be published in due course. Please contact us for further information.
Classroom Course Fee: TBC
Click here for further information
How To Book
Please contact us at anytime to learn more about the course and to discuss your requirements.